Frequently Asked Questions

We have provided a list of the most frequently asked questions in relation to Car Rental, Peugeot Leasing and Motorhome Hire.


Q. Why take a driving holiday by car?

Q. Is it cheaper to pre-book my car rental or should I book when I arrive.
A. By pre-booking with DriveAway Holidays, you receive the benefit of our purchasing power. Our prices with the major car rental operators are considerably lower than walking in off the street in a foreign country to rent a car. In addition you are pre-paying in Australian dollars so the risk of fluctuations in the currency are reduced.

Q. Do you charge a fee if I pay with a credit card?
A. Yes, all prepaid amounts paid with a Visa or MasterCard will incur a surcharge of 1.2% on the total amount. All prepaid amounts paid with an American Express will incur a surcharge of 1.8% on the total amount.

Q. What is an 'on airport service'?
A. The supplier has a rental counter in the airport terminal with cars on location. For larger airports, there may be a section dedicated to all rental car companies that will be within a short walking distance. Some airports may provide a shuttle to the rental car area, this is still considered an 'on airport service'.

Q. What is an 'off airport operator'?
A. The supplier is located within a short distance of the airport. There will either be a shuttle bus provided for the short trip from the airport to the suppliers location, or clients will have to call once they arrive at the airport and they will be collected. Refer to your documentation for further instructions.

Q. Are there any hidden extras?
A. DriveAway Holidays include most mandatory charges, like road taxes or airport fees. Our daily rental rates exclude charges and taxes imposed directly by third parties and additional/optional items you may require. Optional items such as insurance excess reduction, child seats, additional drivers or snow chains are additional and are paid in local currency at the time of collecting your rental vehicle. Be sure to check the list of inclusions, as you will find our prices generally include more features than our competitors. Please note all Supplementary fees are correct at time of printing but are subject to change and should be used as a guide.

Q. Are Debit Cards accepted for Excess Blocks?
A. Suppliers do not accept debit cards for excess blocks/freezes, only credit cards. Please ensure you have a credit card at time of collection.

Q. Can I return the rental vehicle early?
A. Yes, this is possible however no refund of unused rental days is allowed by car rental companies.

Q. What kind of fuel will my rental car require?
A. Rental cars with most suppliers will come in both petrol and diesel models, which can usually be requested at the time of booking. Although in many cases no guarantee can be given, depot staff will do their absolute best to provide a car with the fuel type requested. In the case of Car Leasing, fuel type is guaranteed to be exactly what you selected. If you would like some more info on fuel types and differences between them, see our Petrol vs. Diesel comparison here

Q. Do I require an International Driving Permit?
A. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is proof that you hold a valid drivers licence in your home country at the date of issue of the IDP. This should be carried with your domestic drivers licence. It is a very useful travel document and is required or recommended for many countries when hiring a motor vehicle.

Q. What is the UK Congestion Charge?
A. The congestion fee was introduced to help reduce traffic congestion and pollution within London. The fee is imposed on those who drive their vehicle within certain areas of London during peak periods. Signs on or at the side of the road will indicate when you are entering and leaving the Congestion Charging Zone. For more information visit the Transport of London website.

Q. Do I need to take out Travel Insurance?
A. Yes, this is strongly recommended and your travel agent is the best person to advise on the right policy for your holiday.

Q. Why do I need Travel Insurance when the car is already insured?
A. In most countries an ‘excess’ will apply in the event of an accident or theft of the vehicle. This is the renter’s responsibility, however many travel insurance policies now have provision to cover you for car rental excess up to a specified amount. Therefore, if the excess was applied, you have the option to claim it back on your travel insurance policy. Alternatively, ask DriveAway Holidays for their DriveAway Hire Car Excess Insurance rate to cover damage and theft excess charges up to AUD5,000.

Q. What if I did not take out Travel Insurance?
A. We recommend you consider taking the supplier’s optional insurance excess reduction at the time of collecting your vehicle or pre-pay the DriveAway Hire Car Excess Insurance rate through DriveAway Holidays. The supplier’s Insurance Excess Reduction is a supplementary fee, which either removes your liability for the excess or reduces it to a minimal amount.

Tips for Safe Driving


View Peugeot Leasing FAQ's here.


View Motorhome Rental FAQ's here.

Last updated 30 September 2016. All information is correct at time of print & subject to change without notice.