International Driving Permits

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is proof that you hold a valid driver licence in your home country at the date of issue of the IDP. This should be carried with your domestic driver licence. It is a very useful travel document and is required or recommended for many countries when hiring a motor vehicle

For non-English drivers licence holders, an international drivers licence is required for all countries worldwide. Please note you can get fined by the local police if you do not have a international driving permit.

IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs and the cost to obtain one ranges from about $25 to $50.

For a list of which countries require an International Driving Permit and more information, visit the AAA.

Shown below are the relevant IDP authority in your state:

New South Wales/ACT - NRMA

Queensland - RACQ Ltd. (Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Limited)

Victoria – RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria)

South Australia – RAA (Royal Automobile Association of South Australia, Inc) then click on “Travel.”

Western Australia – RAC (Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia (Incorporated)

Tasmania – RACT (Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania Limited) then click on “Travel.”

Northern Territory – AANT (Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc) then click on “Travelling Overseas.”

All information is correct at time of print & subject to change without notice.