Motorhome Rentals
No Results found
  • {{x}}

Motorhome Rental Customer Assistance Guide

Collecting your Motorhome / Campervan -

  • Most motorhome / campervan supplier’s location are off airport locations - check your transfer arrangements before your departure.
  • If travelling on a long haul international flight we highly recommend that you collect you motorhome the next day.
  • Present your DriveAway Holidays voucher, a full valid driver’s licence (provisional licences are not accepted), a credit card for the security bond and in some cases, your passport. International Driving Licences are compulsory in many countries; refer to the International Driving Permits (IDP) page on our website for further details.
  • The motorhome / campervan rental company will prepare a Rental Agreement (RA) and your voucher will be credited to the (RA).
  • Check your voucher as to what is included. It is likely some additional charges not covered by the voucher will apply.
  • It’s important you fully understand any of the charges shown on the (RA). Once you have signed and initialled your acceptance on the (RA), the charges will be debited from your credit card, and are non-refundable.

Insurance Excess Terms -

  • Rentals include Collision Damage Waiver Insurance (CDW), Third Party Liability and Theft Protection (TP).
  • An Excess is usually applicable in the event of any accident or theft to the rental vehicle, regardless of fault. The excess amount varies between countries and motorhome / campervan suppliers.
  • The following items are not covered by insurance for your rental - For full terms and conditions consult your supplier’s (RA) at the time of collection: Damage to the underbody, roof and overhead of the motorhome / campervan, Damage to any glass (including side mirrors and windscreen), Damage to tyres, Damage to the awning (if fitted), Damage to the slide out (if fitted), Damage cause due to a single vehicle roll over, Lost keys.
  • Additional liability cover offered by the motorhome / campervan rental company is optional.
  • Many travellers have Travel Insurance to cover the excess applied in the event of an accident or theft. Some insurance companies may not cover the Excess unless you also take out the Liability Reduction Insurance offered by the motorhome /campervan rental company. Please check the conditions on your Travel Insurance policy.

Excess Reduction Insurance -

  • Before you travel - DriveAway Holidays offers inclusive prepaid rates for most motorhome / campervan suppliers which include excess reduction. Check with DriveAway Holidays for costings.
  • At the point of collection - you may be able to upgrade your motorhome / campervan insurance or reduce your obligation for the Excess; you may be able to purchase Excess Reduction cover directly with the motorhome / campervan rental company at an additional cost. When signed for, these are non-refundable. If you are sure you are adequately covered by your Travel Insurance you can DECLINE this additional cover on the Rental Agreement (RA). Please make this clear to the Rental Agent.

Security Deposit / Bond -

  • Motorhome and Campervan Rental Companies will require a security deposit / bond at the time of collection. This security deposit / bond amount will vary and will generally equate to the value of the excess liability.
  • Suppliers will only accept a valid credit card for the security deposit / bond.
  • The deposit is debited from your credit card at the time of collection and it’s important to have sufficient funds available. This may affect the credit available on your credit card for several days after the motorhome / campervan has been returned.
  • Some suppliers may also charge a credit card surcharge on the security deposit / bond amount and therefore the Credit Card Holder will need to be present at the time of collection.
  • Cash, Debit Cards, Travelex or pre-paid credit cards are not accepted as payment for the security deposit / bond.

Pre-Paid Fuel Option -

  • Most motorhome /campervan rental companies provide a full tank of fuel and will charge you for refuelling the vehicle if it is not returned with a full tank.
  • By accepting the pre-paid fuel option you are agreeing to pay a pre-determined price for fuel regardless of whether you return the vehicle with a full, partially full or empty tank. This alleviates the need to search for a petrol station just prior to return, but there is no refund for any fuel remaining in the tank. If accepted, the amount to be charged will be printed on your Rental Agreement (RA).

Accidents -

  • In the event of an accident or theft, please report it immediately to the motorhome / campervan rental company. Refer to your Rental Agreement (RA) for the 24 hour assistance phone number.
  • In all cases obtain registration plates and licence details as well as names and addresses of those involved in the accident. The information should be passed onto the motorhome / campervan rental company and a copy kept for your own records. A police report may also be required.

Winter Tyres - In some European countries it is a requirement by law during the winter months (November-March) that all vehicles are equipped with winter tyres. In USA and Canada, special instructions apply as your vehicle will be winterized (e.g. frozen pipes), due to subfreezing temperatures. Vehicles nay be de-winterized for a fee. Refer to the Terms & Conditions on your voucher or contact DriveAway Holidays for further details.

Unused Days - Once the rental has commenced, there is no refund for unused rental days or if the car is returned earlier than booked. Note: Motorhome / Campervan rental staff are NOT authorised to amend this contractual condition. We strongly recommend you are covered by adequate Travel Insurance in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Terms & Conditions - For general conditions, cancellations and no-show fees, view the Terms and Conditions here or the DriveAway Holidays’ brochure. Conditions apply.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are there any one way fees (i.e. pick up at one location and drop off at another location)?
A. Generally one way rentals are permitted within the same country. There may be restrictions, minimum hires and extra charges that will be advised at the time of quotation / booking. Once the motorhome / campervan has been collected and you wish to change the drop off location, you will need to contact the supplier for permission; additional costs may apply.

Q. What do I do if I wish to extend my hire whilst overseas?
A. Please contact the motorhome / campervan rental company for a quote on the cost of the additional rental days. Be sure to ask for the total cost inclusive if insurance and taxes and make a note of the person who has advised the information. In some instances the rental company will suggest you contact your Travel Agent or DriveAway Holidays to arrange for a new voucher to cover the extra days. Payment should then be made to DriveAway Holidays and a new voucher is issued and faxed overseas to cover the extension or new rental.

Q. Where can I drive my motorhome / campervan? Are there any restrictions?

  • Britain - You may drive throughout mainland Britain and Northern Ireland. Most vehicles can be taken to Republic of Ireland or Europe. Some conditions and supplements apply.
  • Ireland - Vehicles rented in Ireland may be driven within Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. One way rentals are possible between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. Some conditions and supplements apply.
  • Europe - Depending on the motorhome / campervan company you may drive your car throughout mainland Western Europe. Vehicles should be returned to the renting location country or a one way fee will apply. If the return location is changed once the vehicle is collected, a surcharge locally will apply. Generally motorhome / campervans are NOT permitted into Eastern European countries. Contact DriveAway Holidays for full details.
  • USA/Canada - Vehicles collected in USA/Canada generally cannot be driven into Mexico and Alaska. Conditions apply. Restrictions also apply for travel to Death Valley during certain months.
  • Australia - Travel restrictions apply in Australia, depending on motorhome / campervan type and supplier. Contact DriveAway Holidays for full details.
  • New Zealand - Depending on the supplier one way rentals are available between the North and South Island. Contact DriveAway Holidays for full details.

Q. Can I take a motorhome / campervan on a ferry?
A. Generally the motorhome / campervan will not be covered for any damage whilst it’s on the ferry. Refer to your Rental Agreement at the time of collection.

Q. Where can I park the motorhome / campervan?
A. As there are different laws in different countries we don’t recommend “free camping”. For safety and security we recommend that you stay in campgrounds. Not only do you get to use the facilities it’s also a fantastic opportunity to meet fellow travellers. When you collect your motorhome / campervan you will be given campground information from the supplier. Campground Information can be found here.

For additional Frequently Asked Questions on motorhome / campervans, click here.

Last updated 01 January 2016. All information is correct at time of print & subject to change without notice.